27 December, 2009

You Can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks

Or can you? As 2009 comes to an end, a new year is looming: full of promises and possibilities. However, there are many of us, I'm sure, who don't see it that way - myself sometimes included. We're thinking to ourselves, "I've been this way for so long, there's no way I can change." Whether it be: habits, relationships, careers, or whatever else - it's easy to not want to change. It's easier to believe that change is not possible.

Experience and observation support that claim. How many times have you seen people attempt change and fail. How many, "I'm going to start working out this year" have you heard, only to later be told, "I went to the gym religiously for about two weeks, but I can't do it anymore."

If I know I can't do it, why the hell should I even try in the first place? How many people want something better in life, but are too afraid to pursue that desire? When it comes down to it: change is scary. If things get bad, there's no "undo" button for life.

But, you know what? Change is possible and sometime extremely rewarding. Experience and observation support that too. Look here:

Julia Child:


This lady went from a government spy to famous chef. Talk about major career change. Entering cooking school at the age of 36, she became a culinary master.

Hellen Phillips
At the age of 48, Hellen entered The Biggest Loser weighing in at 257 pounds. At the end of the season, she weighed a mere 117 pounds - dropping from a size 22 to a size 2.

Yes, I know those are extreme examples. But look around you and you will see success stories everywhere. There are always people who manage to fix the part of them, or their life, that they felt needed fixing. Don't write off small successes and don't be plateaued by big ones. The most successful people are the ones who never stop wanting more. The ones who want to be better and act on that desire. Because, let's face it, things can always be better.

So here's to all of you: May your new year be full of positive changes. Persevere through the challenges. Win your battles. Learn from the ones where you lose. I wish you the courage to pursue change and hope that this year brings you one step closer to being the person that you want to be. Go on, now: start writing your own success story.

Happy New Year, everyone!

(photos courtesy of cinemapassion and NBC)

1 comment:

  1. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    Hello Friend, I love love love your blog, it‘s very interesting!!! I really like your style!! i‘ll visit you many times for sure honey.

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete